If the popularity of true crime TV programs is any indication, people love seeing justice served. But justice served in your own life? That’s even better. If you’re the victim of a real-life malpractice case in Texas, it’s time to take action. With the help of Houston medical malpractice lawyers, you can achieve justice and get the compensation you deserve.
Why Hire A Houston Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
Patients often wonder if they can file a medical malpractice claim on their own. Do they really need a lawyer? And should that lawyer be local?
It’s possible to submit a claim yourself. But hiring a lawyer will make the process much easier. And we’re not just saying that because we’re a law firm!
There are plenty of reasons why you should hire a Houston medical malpractice lawyer if you’re in the Houston area. We’ve listed them below:
You need to focus on recovery.
We’re putting this reason first, because it’s the most important. Nothing is a higher priority than your health.
Knowing your doctor failed you is rough. Living with an injury is tough. You don’t need to add more stress into the mix. Let a Houston medical malpractice lawyer handle your lawsuit. That way, you can put all your energy into getting better.
You’ll have a higher chance of winning your case.
Statistics across all areas of law show that those who represent themselves have much lower odds of winning. Your best bet for a successful outcome is to enlist a professional’s help. Not convinced? We’ll explain why below.
Proving malpractice is challenging.
It takes a lot of time, effort, and expertise. Not only do you need knowledge of laws and regulations, but also insight into medical issues.
Evidence presented in medical malpractice cases is very complex. Sometimes it’s difficult for a jury to understand. Your attorney has to demonstrate causation–a clear link between a doctor’s negligence and your injury. The defendant’s attorneys are going to argue that something else was the culprit, like underlying conditions or the patient’s lifestyle.
It’s cost effective.
Is your first thought about hiring a lawyer, “That’s too expensive!”? We have some good news for you. You don’t have to pay a dime up front to work with our Houston medical malpractice lawyers. Our team operates on a contingency fee basis. This means:
- Your initial consultation is free. This is a no-obligation meeting to help us decide whether or not you have a case, and for you to decide if you wish to hire us.
- We don’t charge for our services unless you win. You won’t pay us a penny unless you recover damages for your injury.
- There’s no risk. Thanks to our contingency fee policy, you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Plain and simple.
Hiring a local lawyer is best.
If you live in Texas or the Houston area, it makes sense to hire Houston medical malpractice lawyers. They will know and understand the laws and regulations specific to your state.
For example, the statute of limitations for malpractice cases in Texas is two years. This means you can file a lawsuit up to two years after your injury occurred
Cases Our Houston Medical Malpractice Lawyers Handle
What’s the most important thing to look for in an attorney? Superior oratory skills? Formidable fashion sense? Maybe someone like Atticus Finch or Elle Woods comes to mind.
Certainly appearance and personality is important. but real life doesn’t always mirror the movies. The most important quality to look for is experience. Your attorney must have the skills to handle your case with expertise.
We’ve handled with a wide variety of medical malpractice cases, such as:
- Birth Injuries
- Cerebral Palsy
- Diagnosis Mistakes
- Medication Errors & Drug Interactions
- Treatment Errors
- Surgical Errors
- Mismanaged Health Conditions
- Cancer Treatment Errors
- Central Pontine Myelinolysis
- Spinal Cord Abscess
- Medical Device Failures
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome
- Posterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy (PION)
- Anesthesia mistakes
Our Houston medical malpractice lawyers are prepared to take on cases that other firms turn away. What gives us such an edge? We have both medical and legal experience, plus access to medical experts to help us develop our cases. With Hampton & King, you’re in good hands.
How Much Do Houston Medical Malpractice Lawyers Charge?
We can’t speak for all Houston medical malpractice lawyers, but our firm charges no initial fees. As we mentioned above, we’ll represent you on a contingency fee basis. Here’s a bit more about how that works:
- We’ll schedule a cost-free initial consultation.
- If we determine you have a case we can win, we’ll pay all legal costs to bring your claim. (Often an investment of $100,000 or more).
- You don’t owe us anything unless we win your case in court or obtain a settlement.
- If we win, we’ll charge a percentage of the damages you recover.
Houston Medical Malpractice Lawyers FAQ
What are some examples of Texas laws that apply to medical malpractice cases?
- Texas has a law requiring the plaintiff to present expert witnesses to show that negligence caused their injury.
- After a defendant has answered a lawsuit, plaintiffs must produce an expert report within 120 days.
- The Texas Medical Malpractice and Tort Reform Act caps the amount of non-economic damages you can win. Examples of non-economic damages are pain, suffering, loss of companionship, and emotional trauma. The limit is $250,000 in cases against a single hospital or doctor. It’s $500,000 for cases involving multiple defendants.
- If both the treating physicians and the health care facility were negligent, the maximum amount you can recover for pain and suffering is $250,000 – $750,000.
- In Texas, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice lawsuits is usually 2 years.
What should I do to begin the legal process?
Ready to sue? Here’s what to do:
- Schedule an initial consultation with a Houston medical malpractice lawyer.
- Get a copy of your medical records from any hospitals or clinics.
- Keep any bills or receipts you have that relate to your medical costs.
- Don’t toss any correspondence you’ve received from your insurance company.
- Gather any evidence you have that’s related to your injury. For example: pay stubs or documents from your employment to show evidence of lost wages. Photos of your injury. Even diary entries during recovery can be helpful.
What is the legal process like for medical malpractice cases?
Here’s a short summary of the process in general:
- We’ll file your malpractice claim.
- Written discovery phase: the two parties (defendant and plaintiff–you) exchange questions called interrogatories. These are usually questions about evidence and witnesses. We’ll answer them for you, but we may ask you for more background information.
- Deposition phase: Both you and the defendant (and any witnesses) will give depositions. A deposition is an official, sworn out-of-court testimony. We’ll help you prepare for it.
- Courts will most likely order mediation. These are discussions about a possible settlement with a neutral mediator. If both parties agree to a settlement, your case won’t go to court. If mediation isn’t successful, your Houston medical malpractice lawyers will present your case at trial.
Ready to begin the malpractice claim process? Contact our Houston medical malpractice lawyers here for a free case review.