More than 200,000 units of hernia mesh have been recalled because of complications. Are you a victim of a faulty hernia mesh device? You may want to file a hernia mesh lawsuit.
If you’ve recently sought treatment for a hernia, perhaps you came home with a hernia mesh device. And maybe you haven’t been feeling too well. Are you chalking it up to a botched surgery? Chances are, your complications are due to a faulty hernia mesh device. Not a surgery gone wrong.
More and more hernia mesh lawsuits are surfacing.If you want to know how to file a hernia mesh lawsuit, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide you’ll learn about:
- Signs and symptoms of hernia mesh failure
- What a hernia mesh lawsuit covers
- Statute of limitations
- Possible settlements and compensation
- Prepare for your meeting with a lawyer
Let’s get started.
Hernia Mesh Injuries, Side Effects, & Symptoms
Hundreds of thousands of people have filed hernia mesh lawsuits. Many have suffered serious complications and compromises to their health and are now seeking compensation.
Not sure your complications are related to a possible device failure? We can help. Hernia mesh failure will often lead to specific symptoms that you can’t ignore. Here’s what you should watch out for:
- Intermittent or chronic pain
- Intestinal obstruction or adhesion
- Urinary issues
- Hernia recurrence
- Protrusion or perforation
- Additional surgeries
Infection can be caused by hernia mesh erosion. If the hernia mesh begins to degrade, it can ultimately lead to an infection. Infection caused by a dodgy hernia mesh has its own list of symptoms:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Burning sensation
- Abdominal pain
- Heat or soreness around surgical site
- Noticeable lump near surgical site
As you can see the symptoms surrounding a failed hernia mesh can run the gamut. That’s why it’s always best to seek medical attention. And later, if you feel your case is suspicious, to contact a lawyer who handles hernia mesh lawsuits.
Legal Issues With Hernia Mesh Devices
You’re probably wondering, how did all these issues come about? What’s the deal with all these faulty devices?
Many hernia mesh devices were rushed during production to get them out in the market. Not many studies were conducted to test the safety of these devices. There wasn’t enough clinical evidence at hand. Although many of these devices have been recalled (or taken off the market), many people unfortunately suffered grave consequences.
So what makes a hernia mesh device faulty? They can shrink, break, contract, or migrate. Some are even coated with materials that can cause adverse reactions and/or infections. Faulty devices can lead to severe damage. Many times, further surgery may be required.
A hernia mesh lawsuit will cover those patients who suffered injuries, illnesses, additional surgeries, and other pain associated with a poorly manufactured hernia mesh.
How To File A Hernia Mesh Lawsuit
While you’re trying to piece the puzzles together, you’re more and more sure that a faulty hernia mesh device is the culprit behind your complications. Next step? Pursue a hernia mesh lawsuit. But there are a few things you should know first.
Statute Of Limitations
Complications and pain associated with a faulty device might not surface right away. Sometimes it could take weeks, or even months to notice any issues. If you plan on filing a lawsuit however, you need to act quickly. There is a statute of limitations which varies depending on the state you live in. In the state of Texas, the statute of limitations for a malpractice case is two years. That means you have two years from the time the device was put in or the day of discovery to file your lawsuit.
Who Manufactured Your Device
Knowing who manufactured your hernia mesh device is crucial. There may already be lawsuits against that particular manufacturer. Identifying the manufacturer is also helpful when determining where to file the lawsuit.
Damages And Compensation
When someone suffers at the expense of malpractice, it’s not just a physical injury you’re recovering from. There are so many other devastating losses that victims deal with.
Hampton & King can help you seek compensation for the following:
- Economic damage. This includes past and future medical expenses related to the pain and treatment associated with the hernia mesh. Things like revision surgeries, infection treatments, prescription medication, doctor visits, and chronic pain care should be covered.
- Loss of income. If you’ve dealt with lost wages in the past, and expect to lose income in the future because of the hernia mesh, your attorney will help you seek compensation for that.
- Pain and suffering. Any pain and suffering caused by the injuries that were directly related to a faulty hernia mesh device should be covered. Impact on daily activities can really affect the overall quality of life.
Our experienced attorneys will help recommend a tailored course of action for you. By filing a hernia mesh lawsuit we can seek compensation for your economic, physical and emotional damages.
Preparing For Your First Attorney Meeting
You originally sought care for your hernia. Sadly, you became a recipient of a faulty hernia mesh device. Instead of a healthy recovery, you were setback with frustrating complications. Whether you experienced an infection, bowel obstruction, went through additional surgeries, or all three, the road has been anything but smooth.
You know you’re working against the clock if you plan on filing a hernia mesh lawsuit. Maybe you’re thinking of scheduling a meeting with an experienced attorney who can handle a case like this. (Or maybe you already scheduled one – bonus points for being proactive!)
Is there anything you can do to prep for that first meeting?
Here’s what you need to know.
Come with every detail. Too much detail is always better than not enough. At least in the case of attorney meetings. Write down every detail you can remember and bring proof to back it up.
What are some important details?
- Dates. This includes doctor visits, surgery dates, when you started feeling pain, etc.
- Details of the device. Bring any documentation you have regarding the actual hernia mesh device that was implanted. This is important!
- Records. Medical bills, receipts, x-rays, and photographs are all great to bring along to that first meeting.
- Any income losses. Bring your pay stubs, W-2s, and proof of lost wages. This can help your attorney get a better idea of what sort of compensation you might be looking at.
Though that first meeting may not give you an exact outcome of the case, it can paint a pretty clear picture. The payout of a hernia mesh lawsuit is very dependent on individual circumstances.
Pursuing A Hernia Mesh Lawsuit
Scheduling a free consultation with Hampton & King will help you know whether or not there’s a claim to file. Also, because of our commitment to help victims seek justice, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means you won’t pay any fees unless you win your case.
If you’re the recipient of a faulty hernia mesh device, you may deserve compensation. Filing a hernia mesh lawsuit can help you seek justice and also help eliminate faulty devices from entering the market. Contact us to schedule your free consultation. Remember, we only win when you win.